AnalysisW32/Phobos.3257!tr.ransom is a generic detection for a Ransomware Phobos trojan. Since this is a generic detection, this malware may have varying behaviour.
Below are some of its observed characteristics/behaviours:
- This malware may drop any of the following file(s):
- %Desktop%\info.hta : This is an HTA file and will serve as ransom note.
- %Desktop%\info.txt : This is a text file and will serve as ransom note.
- This malware was also observed to affect/encrypt files located on shared drives within the same subnet.
- This malware was also observed to delete shadow copies by using Microsoft WMIC program.
- Affected victims of this Ransomware are redirected by the attacker via:
- Affected files of this Ransomware will use the filenaming format OriginalFileName.ext.id[ID].[Email].Extension, where italic strings are replaced. Below are the file extensions and email addresses:
- Email addresses:
- This malware may apply any of the following registry modification(s):
- [OriginalMalware].exe = %Appdata%\Local\[OriginalMalware].exe
- Below is an illustration of the malware's ransom notes:
- Figure 1: Ransom note.
- Figure 2: Ransom note.
- Make sure that your FortiGate/FortiClient system is using the latest AV database.
- Quarantine/delete files that are detected and replace infected files with clean backup copies.